If a lot of water accumulates around the washing machine, this may indicate various problems. Almost all of them can cause damage to the structure of the house.
- 1 Features of draining water in a washing machine
- 2 Causes of poor drainage of the washing machines
- 3 Why does overflow occur?
- 4 Prevention of overflow of the drain pipe
- 5 Application of preventive enzymes
- 6 Diagnosing drain problems
- 7 Drain snake control
- 8 Prevention of overflow of the drainage system
- 9 Other tips
- 10 FAQ
- 11 Results
Features of draining water in a washing machine
Before determining the causes of washing machines’ drain overflow, you should familiarize yourself with the features of water removal at the end of the wash. As soon as the machine completes the washing process, the water is removed from the tank under the influence of the pump.
It pushes the water into the washing machine drain hose, which curves up and exits the appliance.
After it connects to the riser, which is located close to the tap for water supply. If the performance of the machine and its parts is correct, the water will pass through the washing machine hose and enter the riser. It then heads down the drain. If there are issues in the system, the drainage overflowed.
Causes of poor drainage of the washing machines
First, you need to make sure that the drain line provokes an overflow. In modern machines, there may be special error signals that may occur during the draining process. They will determine exactly what caused the leak. However, in most cases, special diagnostics will be required.
First, you need to run the washing machine for the drain cycle. Watch out for pumping water into the laundry sink. If you notice how the water moves towards the riser and away from it, then the drain is problematic. It is important to determine how long the laundry sink is filled with water and overflows.
If the process takes only a few seconds, then a blockage has formed near the riser. It is possible that it was formed in the washing machine hose. You can remove the blockage with a special drain snake that has manual control.
If the process lasts 30-60 seconds, a blockage may form deep in the downpipe system. You will need to arm yourself with a long drain snake that will help remove the blockage. If you are afraid to do the work yourself, call a plumber.
If it takes more than 60 seconds to drain, then the blockage is very impressive. It can be in the plumbing system or the main drain. Call a plumber who will check the sewer pipes and determine the cause of blockage and overflow.
If you notice a leak, then the wash cycle must be stopped. It is important to remember that blockages are not always caused by overfilled washing machines. There are other reasons, which will be discussed later.
Drain pipe cleaning
From time to time, dirt, hair, and lint can accumulate in the washing machine drain pipe, making it difficult for water to flow. However, correcting the situation is not difficult. Before starting work, turn off the device, and then follow several steps, which will be discussed later.
Looking for a drain hose
It is often located behind the washing machine. It has a black tint. It should move toward the laundry sink, floor drain, or PVC pipe.
Disconnecting the drain hose
First, you need to pinch the clamp using pliers. It should fix the hose to the device itself. Clamp the clamp, then remove the washing machine drain hose. The other end of the hose must also be disconnected. You may need to cut off the tie, which is designed to fix the hose.
Removing a lock
Use a long wire to clean the hose from dirt. Afterward, rinse it off with hot water. Straighten it, and enlighten it with a flashlight. This allows you to understand whether you have completely removed the garbage or not.
If the debris was dimensional, a chemical cleaner may be required to remove it. Once you have cleaned the drain hose, check the washing machine drain pipe at the back of the washing machine for cleanliness. You need to check it with a flashlight.
Put on rubber gloves and stick your finger in. This allows you to check the blockage of the hole. If there is garbage, it must be removed.
Reconnecting the hose
As soon as you remove the debris from the hose, proceed to install it in place. Need to work with pliers. They need to clamp the metal clamp so that the hose is fixed. Once you turn it all the way, release it. Then pull the hose a little to make sure it is tight.
The other end of the hose also has to be secured in place, you must make sure that there is no kinked discharge hose. It is better to work with a zipper for better fixation. This will prevent weakening. If this happens, there may be leaks that need to be cleaned.
Why does overflow occur?
This may be due to a clogged laundry sink. However, there are several other reasons, including:
- twisting of the drain hose;
- inconsistency in the size of the drain pipe. The optimal figure is 1.5 inches. The outside diameter of the drain hose must be 1.25 inches. Such dimensions will correspond to optimal ventilation. Therefore, an increase in internal diameter up to 2 inches is allowed;
- deep installation of the hose in the drain pipe. It needs to be deepened with a flat part up to 7 inches;
- no P-trap. It helps to prevent sewer smells from entering the house, as well as to ensure a smooth flow of water through the pipe. If there is no trap, the water will flow much longer.
Prevention of overflow of the drain pipe
To prevent overflowing of the drainage pipe, a few tips should be followed. More about them will be discussed below.
- Installation of the washing chamber. If such a part is not yet available, you should buy it. The washer drains can be supplemented with a mesh that will catch the pile at the end of the hose. Due to this, fluff, hair, and fabrics will not penetrate the drainage pipe. Mesh cleaning will be required periodically to prevent various problems.
- Purchasing a high-efficiency washing machine. These devices require little water to operate. Therefore, some water will flow into the sewer. This will prevent it from leaking out of the laundry sink.
- Regular washing machine drains refill. The drain will need to be turned over every few months. If you notice that the water drains more slowly, you may need to refill it more frequently.
- Application of hot water and soda. Periodically, you need to pour 2-3 liters of boiling water into the sewer, as well as a cup of baking soda. Then pour in a glass of vinegar and 1 glass of water, and close the drain plug. Let everything infuse for 10-15 minutes, then pour in another 2-3 liters of boiling water.
- Pile collection. You can install a special wire mesh lint catcher, which is placed at the end of the downpipe. Wrap plastic tape around the hose to keep the mesh bag from falling off. Lint will collect in the mesh, so the sewer will not become clogged.
Application of preventive enzymes
Every month, you will need to use special enzymes that must be combined with lint traps. Thanks to this, the washing machine will work well and will not encounter any problems. Lint will accumulate on the trap, and enzymes will help dissolve soap suds.
Enzymes can be used in a variety of ways. Thanks to enzymes, the sewer will always be in working order. The drain pipe will run smoothly. Enzymes work deeply and are available.
Enzymes also help clean washing machine drains and dissolve dirt. For example, lint traps will not be able to collect dirt and soap. With the help of enzymes, the soap will dissolve, so the sewer will remain clean.
Which enzyme options to choose?
As you know, there is a wide range of different enzymes on sale. Some will need to add water, while others are ready-made. Regardless of what you choose, all tools are effective.
Select the option that is appropriate for you and fits your budget. You need to buy enzymes in hardware stores.
Correct use of enzymes
To use enzymes correctly, you will have to be patient. Enzymes need time to work. Therefore, they will have to be poured into the sewer and then left for 8-10 hours. If you are using enzymes for the first time, or if you suspect that the washer drains are clogged, pour boiling water into the pipe in the morning.
If there is no suspicion, you can turn on plain water and let it flow for 2-3 minutes. If the drain is running slowly, the dirt will melt and block the drain pipe. Similar situations happen if you are using enzymes for the first time.
Additional enzyme treatment may be required to clean the drain. Before starting work, read the instructions that are written on the package. Almost all manufacturers advise repeating the work for 3 days, after which further processing is carried out once a month.
Diagnosing drain problems
First, you need to make sure that the problem is related to the drain line. In some modern washing machines, an error may be given in the form of a signal, so it will be easier for you to determine the cause of the leak. However, you may have to independently conduct a test for diagnosis.
First, install a drain cycle on the machine and start it. Track exactly how water begins to be pumped into the hose and laundry sink. If you can see how the water moves, then the problems are caused by the drain of the washing machine.
If a leak is detected, stop the device. Be prepared for the fact that the reason may lie not only in the overflow of the drainpipe. If the drain pipes are not the correct size, overflow can also occur. Therefore, the diagnosis should be carried out by an experienced master.
Drain snake control
It is not uncommon to work with a drain snake. To manage it, some actions will be relevant, including:
- Insert the end of the snake into the drain hole, and turn the lever provided on the drum. This allows you to run it into the pipe.
- Push the snake’s head deep into the pipe to feel some resistance.
- Start rotating the drain snake clockwise or counterclockwise. This should be done until there is a feeling that the blockage has been separated.
- Remove the drain pan and repeat the procedure. This will make sure that the pipe is clear, and the water can flow off without problems.
Prevention of overflow of the drainage system
If you don’t want your washing machine drain to overflow, you can prevent this from happening. There are several tips for this. If necessary, you can use a special garment or lint bag. Thanks to this, the pile will not accumulate in the drainpipes.
You should also periodically clean the lint trap, as well as the filter that is on the washing machine. Remember that the distance between the drain pipe and the drain hose must be 0.5 inches. This will ensure good drainage quality.
To prevent soap particles from accumulating, you will need to use the right detergent. Clean the hose and drain pipe regularly.
As you know, household appliances tend to wear out over time. If you do not want to face expensive repairs in the future, you can purchase a product warranty for yourself. On average, a home warranty will cost only $25-$50. You have to pay every month.
As soon as the device fails due to wear and tear, due to the warranty, you will only have to pay for the service of repair or replacement of the part. It will cost 75-125 dollars. This will save you a lot of money in the future. After all, some devices can cost about 2-3 thousand dollars if you plan to replace them without a warranty.
When a washing machine drain overflow occurs, numerous questions can be faced. The answers to them will be presented below.
What causes the washing machine drain to overflow?
Overflowing washing machine drain can occur for various reasons. However, this often happens if there is a blockage in the drain pipe. During washing, lint and other debris begin to come off the clothes. Together with water, it will merge, so the drainage pipe will constantly become clogged.
How do I stop my washing machine drain from overflowing?
To prevent the washing machine from overflowing, try to wash things in a special bag. You can also install an additional filter that will prevent clogging. Check and clean the lint filter every month. Be sure to keep the distance between the drain pipe and the drain hose to ensure ventilation.
Why is my laundry drain backing up?
When the machine starts draining water, it needs a lot of water. Often, machines come with small tubes. Because of this, the water will not be able to drain properly and evenly. Stagnation will form, causing water to overflow.
As you can see, washing machine drain overflows can occur for various reasons. However, you must make sure that you have done everything possible to prevent this. Therefore, it makes sense to install special filters that will prevent clogging, as well as ensure proper ventilation. Rotten egg smell from washing machine, how to get rid of it, read